Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Storm After the calm

At last came the first day of my daughter’s school. I pulled myself up with all the mental arms & ammunition as if going on a war. She didn’t seem to be much aware of what was going to happen & seemed to be fascinated with the bag-bottle stuff, the new dress & the snaps being clicked, she was enjoying to be the center of attraction which I guess she has got so used to it by now. The school came & just when I was ready for the pulling & yelling, surprisingly she went quietly with the ayah. I was literally shocked because this was the least I had expected, but in my heart I was very happy that I escaped the emotion of a bad mama leaving my daughter crying & blah..blah…When I went to pick her up I was told she cried just for a little while in between & then she was fine. But that didn’t bother me much after all I was saved from a big storm so this seemed to be very nominal.

Everyone was calling & checking on me how was her first day grandparents, his brother(7yr old) came back from school & was very excited to know, after all he had dutifully given a big lecture to her-- how to behave in school. Most of all her dad who had to be out of town to miss all the reactions. He was feeling very bad for missing ‘The Day‘. But job is job. I was feeling equally bad for him. For the first time I guess I had all my sympathies for him & was very please to be a housewife. I don’t have to miss any of my kid’s activities. Anyways I was gladly telling everyone she was very brave & on & on…….

Now came the 2nd day & after the calm came the storm. So now she understood what happens--Mama leaves me there--How dare she? So just when we entered the lane of her school she literally warned me---”Aanya’s school--- I go there---I will cry” And the school came & she kept her words, she cried-- she yelled--she howled----kicked did everything that I thought I had escaped.

Kids generally go from worst to worse to bad to good, my case was the opposite, it seemed to be going from good to bad to worse. The 3rd day, in the morning she got up & declared,-”I am not going to school”, in the manner --really threatening me. If you dare, get ready for the consequences. But I being a brave Mama I did dare to dress her up & then came the volcano, out went the shoes in the air & landed on the bed, the hanky, the bag & she lay flat on the ground. Just touch her & a bomb is ready to burst.

Finally I had to lie- left me with no other option. “Lets go & get the chocolate from mam & come back--won’t stay there“. So we reached school & the same episode to see that mama was going back from her words.

Today was the 4th day, at last the storm seems to have calmed a bit but can’t say about tomorrow. She always acts the unexpected. Keeping my fingers crossed & hoping she settles down fast.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...this post has left me pondering a lot. I am already taking my son to this playgroup once a week and he cries every time and sometimes throughout the class even though I am with him the entire time. I dread the day I take him to school. For some, it is a cakewalk and for others it's a nightmare. I am told I cried each day of my kindergarden years, as if it is some kind of a relief!
    Anyway, does her brother go to the same school? If their school times are overlappping, tell her that she would be meeting her brother. Give her some toy which she can carry. I am not sure whether that is allowed but a familiar object might relieve her anxiety about being left alone. I remember my parents used to sit outside the classroom for some days till I got used to the atmosphere.
    All the best, keep posting. :)

    ReplyDelete