Saturday, February 5, 2011

Life has changed -good or bad?

This made me think

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways , but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.
We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.
We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.
We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.
We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.


4 comments:

  1. Hi AEAS - nice post. Though pessimistic sounding a little...but somewhat true. When my husband was telling me the other day that may be when the kids grow up even a four bed place won't be enough since we need a room each for the two kids, for us and for my FIL and then a spare guest room - I told him - can you believe how we are thinking now? When I was growing up it was so natural so sleep in the living room with my parents and sisters all of us together...only after they all left for college I had my own room. And it wasn't any fun also to be alone. But now even teachers get shocked if five year old kids are not given their own rooms.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. This is my first time here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post. Sad but quite true. There's a tv show called "My sweet sixteen". It shows outrageous parties thrown by parents for their sixteen year old daughters on their 16th birthdays. After you turn sixteen only once. And the gals go around town feeling proud and righteous about spending a million dollars on parties, and expect bmws and mercedes as gifts. Talk about instant gratification. Where is the sense of accomplishment or earning your rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! noon, thanks for visiting my blog & I hope its not the last time, you are so right times are changing & kids are maturing at the speed we can't even imagine. My 7yr old has a facebook account, way too ahead then our times.Leave our times I can see the difference between my 7 yr old & 2.5 yr old, she is definitely is more aware of things than my son used to be at this age

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats so very true, I remember even for things like skates or a casio my parents would put up a condition u get A+ & we get u this & at the end when we got it we would feel so happy & the feeling that yes we deserved it, nowdays we get our kids things even before they ask for it.The worth attached to small things is just disappearing evrything is taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete