Thursday, May 19, 2011

Answering kids on Death

Answering your kid’s queries is the most complex task. He always has so many questions to ask & add to it he is particularly a very emotional boy so it becomes really very difficult. How to answer him so that he is not mentally disturbed also. When he was around 4 I tried telling, him that its nothing but you get new skin like new clothes. Relieved for a while but not for long, soon he came up with—Does it happen with everyone? I answered with a yes & that was enough to make him cry. I don’t want you to leave me, he said sobbingly. I didn’t have the guts to go ahead with the truth so I modified my statement to—If we take care of our self, our diet, body & exercise & keep fit we might escape it, & even if it happens we always get new skin & come back( thought could give him the fact in small doses).

Now that he is 7 he has understood a bit but he thinks a lot about it. Just the other day when I was at my parents for vacation the news of Satya Sai Baba’s demise
came. I don’t know whether he heard it in news or read it in paper about his claim that he was a rebirth of Sai Baba & will again take birth. At night he was again ready with his set of questions.

In a very emotional manner he asked, mama I am quiet worried, I asked him gently- ‘Why’--- If you come back again with new skin & again take birth how will I find & recognize you. I was speechless this time, I myself was so confused. I wanted him to sleep soundly so I answered him- Don’t worry, we come to know about it automatically..

But I am still not sure –the next time he comes up with another query what to answer him. Answering his question is not the tough part, but the mere mention of death makes him cry, he is so sensitive that its difficult to watch the TV news also. He cries & thinks so much when he hears or sees anything(flood, earthquakes, etc….) That is the toughest thing handling him. How do I tell him not to think about it when I myself think a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment